Reproducing Song Words at School
Licence: Collective Worship Copyright Licence (CWCL)
Many schools now reproduce the words of hymns and worship songs for use in their times of collective worship.
Every time you reproduce song words, you must first ensure that you have obtained permission from the copyright owner. This can be a costly and time consuming process. To simplify matters, CCLI has introduced the Collective Worship Copyright Licence (CWCL) which covers songs owned by publishers and song writers, providing you with an affordable solution to your copyright needs.
With the CWCL you can:
- Type song words into your computer and store* them for later use.
- Create your own service sheets and handouts for your pupils and staff.
- Create your own OHP acetates.
- Create your own song words database for use with song projection software.
- Audio/video record music from your services for those unable to attend, or as a keepsake.
*Some publishers now provide song words on CD-ROMs. Please refer to the additional information they provide since you may need a CWCL to store them on your computer.
The number of publishers covered by this licence increases continually. Click here to view the list.
Licence fees are based on the number of pupils on the school roll
View the fees for all our licences here.
Click here to purchase your licence.
Using your CWCL
- Copyright lines - Each time you reproduce words you must include the following information underneath the song.
[author], © [year, owner], [your licence number] eg.
Fred Smiley, © 2007 Happy Music Ltd., CWCL Licence No. 123456
If you have made a service sheet/book, you only need to include author, date and owner details underneath each song with the following acknowledgement somewhere in the sheet/book.
All songs covered by CCLI have been reproduced under the CWCL Licence No. [your licence number].
- Reporting - Under the Terms of Agreement of your licence you are also required to report which song lyrics you reproduce. Click here for CopyReport.
- Contact Details - As your licence is held by your school you are required to provide CCLI with contact details so we can contact you with updates to your licence.
Many schools holding the CWCL find that they often require the Collective Worship Music Reproduction Licence (CWMRL) in order to photocopy song lyrics and you can find more information about this licence here.
Not sure which licences you need?
Check the Quick Guide Licence Table